Omaha Campus Timeline
“That’s what happens when they (patients) go to Madonna from the time they are discharged from our hospital until the time they come back and see us. It is geared toward making big progress. If you can get them to rehab, you’ve got a fighting shot.”
William E. Thorell, M.D.
Director of Cerebrovascular Neurosurgery
University of Nebraska Medical Center
Madonna Board Member
- An independent study showed the underserved need for specialized rehabilitation care for the Omaha metro area.
- Madonna Rehabilitation Hospitals' Board approved establishing a Madonna Rehabilitation Hospitals - Omaha Campus.
- DLR Group and Michael Graves Architecture and Design hired as architects.
- Purchased 20.6 acres west of Village Pointe.
- Opened Madonna Rehabilitation Specialty Hospital (MRSH) in Bellevue to serve medically fragile patients on April 1.
- Kiewit Building Group hired as general contractors for Omaha Campus facility.
- Approval by Omaha City Council for building permit use.
- Groundbreaking at 175th and Burke Streets on September 4.
- $86 million in bonds issued to finance project on September 10.
- UNMC announced an agreement with Madonna on November 13 to have physicians staff the Omaha Campus and establish a Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) residency program.
- UNMC selected Samuel Bierner, M.D., to head the new Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) residency program.
- Madonna Rehabilitation Hospitals – Omaha Campus opened in October.